Feb 6, 2012

Suspense



























Hi all, if you are looking for the 'Popularity' post for illustration Friday. It is here: POPULARITY
I kinda stuffed my copy and paste. My apologies.


There wasn't any extra time for drawing this week so I'm publishing this image from the 'Encyclopedia of Grim' of my Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook project 2012. This fellow is a water cooling tower from a coal-fired power plant. He awaits his fate with some suspense as the world changes and looks for a more sustainable human and planetary existence.


Two years ago a group of us had an interesting tour of the Mount Piper power station outside of Sydney. The cooling towers are a sight to behold close up as they have open bottom edges which, as the steamy heated water rises, draws in cool air and creating a powerful up flowing aircurrent that would suck you up and fling you out the top if you had a good parasail. Possibly a new adventure pastime could happen if a good anti-scalding supersuit was invented. I'll try and get onto it soon.

6 comments:

  1. Great work Ken... interesting combination of design and line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod, I was really working hard to keep things simple on this one.

      Delete
  2. What a strange and interesting face! Neat technique.

    Sign me up for an anti-scalding supersuit once you've got that patent worked out. You never know when it might come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are first on the list for the new suits. And by the way, I already have have an idea for the a next generation Lava Lake Snorkle Set.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Sylvia Liu. I'm going to have a good browse at your blog soon, all of the Ebooks and apps posts look like a good place to get a grip on this subject. cheers.

    ReplyDelete